Question - I have Windows 7 I Professional installed on my home PC,
which was an upgrade edition to replace Windows Vista. I now wish to upgrade my
computer to use an SSD for the operating system, then wipe the existing hard
disk and use it to store everything else. The information with Windows 8
upgrade edition states that you must have an existing Windows installation
before you can install the upgrade version of Windows 8. However, as I intend
to install Windows 8 onto a new, blank SSD, will I be able to use the cheaper
Windows 8 Professional upgrade edition? In other words, will it detect Windows
7 on my existing hard disk and accept this and then allow me to install Windows
8 on the new SSD? I would also like to fit a new motherboard. Should this wait
until I have Windows 8 installed?
Answer - I We do not think this will I work. While Windows 8 will
detect Windows 7, the cheaper upgrade edition can be used only to replace an
existing installation. So in these circumstances Windows 8 will install itself
over Windows 7, on the existing hard disk.
However, there may be a way around this problem. You did not
tell us whether Windows Vista was pre-installed on the PC or if you have the
original installation disc. If you have the disc, you could use it to create a
fresh installation of Vista on the SSD and then update this with the upgrade
edition of Windows 8. To do this, remove the existing hard disk first so the
only drive in the PC is the blank SSD, then install Windows Vista onto the SSD.
Once Vista has been upgraded to Windows 8, reinstall the old hard drive and
format it.
The alternative - as we think you already know - is to buy
the full, but more expensive, System Builder edition of Windows 8. This will
allow you to do what you want.
As for fitting a new motherboard, we would advise doing that
beforeinstalling Vista (or Windows 8 System Builder) afresh. That way, you can
deal with any driver issues before reinstalling your programs.

0 nhận xét:
Đăng nhận xét